Sunday 19 November 2017

Patina Effect Paste

Hello,
Deena here today and I am going to share a tutorial with you.
 
Have you used the Patina Effect Paste by Finnabair? I hadn't either until I got to play with it for this tutorial, although I had been eyeing it off. I did actually watch a couple of youtube videos to see how it was applied and what order the three different mediums. After watching them I ended up applying them the way Finnabair did it as it didn't really seem to matter, brass, then the mint-green and blue together. Make sure that before you add the mint-green and blue that the brass is completely dry as they turn ugly if you don't. I am not sure that I needed to put the brass first but that's ok.
 
I will show you the finished canvas and then share with you my steps.
 
The substrate I used is a canvas board which I covered in a layer of gesso. Once the gesso was dry I used texture paste and a stencil to get my canvas started. While the texture paste was still wet I push my chipboard (which I painted with gesso earlier) into the paste. I wasn't sure if this would hold so I did put some glue on the back. I let that dry natural as I didn't want the chipboard to warp from the heat of my heat gun.
 
 On the edges of my canvas I did not want my stencil to be perfect so with my palette knife I gently spread the texture paste out.
 
Using another stencil and texture paste I add some more texture this time adding it not only to my canvas but also the chipboard.
 
Next was the stamping, I didn't want the stamping to be the focal point but just another layer in my process. I also added the chipboard frame, sewing cotton and flowers. The stamping seems over the top but you wont see much of it after the next step. I also added the heart shaped chipboard.
 
In this next step I added gesso over the top of my canvas to send the stamping into the background and also to turn the chipboard frame and heart from brown to white. While this was still wet I went crazy with my white crackle paste. I just love texture and needed more.
As you can see the stamping has almost disappeared completely but it is showing through in some places.
 
Below are some close up photos of the dry crackle paste.
 
The final step in creating my canvas was using the patina effect paste
 
Products used from the Shop
Patina Effect Paste
Archival Ink - Jet Black
Kaisercraft Stamp - Script
Canvas Board
The Crafters Workshop Stencil 12x12 - Hourglass
Cocoa Vanilla - Flowers
 
Happy Creating
 

No comments:

Post a Comment