Monday 18 December 2017

Ice Layers

Hello Everyone,
its Deena here on the blog today and I have something a little different. In my latest design team package I received the Ice Layers from Faber-Castell. I wasn't really sure what to do with them so I watched a Faber-Castell youtube video where they used gelatos. Well I decided to experiment a little and I also used Scribble Sticks and Magicals.
 
I haven't completed a finished design it was more of a road test to see what I could use and do. I started out with 4 pieces of thick watercolour page which I covered with a layer of gesso.
 
I always use circles but today and decided to go with the middle design in the above top photo which is called Geode. Now the ice layers, are a sticky rubbery stencil/embellishment. They can be used as a stencil that sticks to your surface and can be removed or you can leave it as part of your design.
 
For my first test I used my magicals. I laid the complete sheet over my paper and then sprinkled my magicals over the top.
 
 
I sprayed water over the surface to activate the colours, I then picked up the excess water by rolling my roll of paper towel over the top. Once I had removed the excess water I gentle pulled of the ice layer as I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to. Success it worked and it didn't rip my paper. When the ice layer was removed I then dried the wet surface of my paper with a heat gun.
 
Next I used my scribble sticks, some of the colour from the magicals did stay on the ice layer and it did transfer to my paper, but that's ok as its part of what I am testing. I laid the ice layer over the top of my watercolour paper and chose 3 different scribble sticks to colour in the shapes. Once all the shapes were coloured in I wet my paint brush and added water to the surface of my paper and ice layer. I was a little concerned as I started to pull this one up but it did up completely up and did not tear.
 
 
This last time I did things a little different, with my gelatos I coloured my watercolour paper and then I laid the ice layer over the top. I did not remove the ice layer but cut it down to size and then with a baby wipe removed the colour within the exposed shapes.
 
 
I really enjoy playing with new products and this one was no exception. I still have the other two to play with so who knows when you will see them in future design team work.
 
Products Used:
Faber-Castell - Ice Layers
Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals - Under The Board Walk
Dina Wakley - Scribble Sticks
 
Happy Creating
 

No comments:

Post a Comment