Saturday 27 January 2018

Two ways with watercolour powders

Ken Oliver Color Burst, Lindy's Magicals, Color Crush Powders, Brusho Crystals. They're all so much fun!

Hello everybody, it's Donna here and today I have two cards that use these powders as an integral part of the design. 

Firstly, I used the crystals to colour some watercolour paper. I used Colour crush powders in Misty Lilac, Glacier Blue and Spearmint, and just a tiny bit of Color Burst Indigo and Brusho Sea Green.
I sprinkled the tiniest amount of each of these (except the Spearmint which was lighter, so I used more of this one) onto a dry piece of watercolour paper, and then lightly misted it with water. I used enough water to get the colours to move around, but not so much that it all blended and looked like regular watercolour paint. Once it was dry, I used a butterfly die to cut out the butterflies and their bodies. These would make such a lovely accent on a scrapbooking page.


The butterflies have been attached with some strong glue in the middle, so that the wings can fly free. This will be a card that I hand directly to a friend, and not put through the post, as it will get flattened in the mail. You can see the dimension in the close up shot.
The sentiment was stamped in Versamark ink and heat embossed in white. I love how the powders separate into their component colours, and you get so many different variations from the one powder, as shown in the photo below.



 Next, I used Color Burst Powders in Merlot, Tangerine and Violet to create another background piece. This time I left it intact. I used some of the papers from the April 2017 Crop Kit, and fussy cut them out. The card was a little busy as it was, so I lay the fussy cut pieces on white paper and cut them out again, leaving a second white border. That was what was needed to let the images pop off the page. The sentiment is from my stash.
Here's a closer look at the way the powders react with water. You can see the tiny dots of colour where there wasn't much water at all, and he larger blobs and more pastel background where more water hit the powder. You can't control these powders 100% which is what gives them such a lovely organic look. Watercolour paper gives the best results, as it allows the pigment to sit on top of the paper and run and blend.

I hope you've been inspired to grab out some powders and enjoy playing with them. I've had a (colour) Blast!!!

If you are interested in seeing more of my cards, feel free to have a look at my Instagram, where I've used these powders for other cards too, including a very vibrant orange!
Until next time, may your days be full of colour!
Blessings, 
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment